Netizens have shared their reactions following fan accounts of Lay’s earnest plea during EXO’s pre-recording of Mnet’s M! Countdown.
Earlier it was reported that while pre-recording the group’s stage for their “Love Me Right” comeback, EXO’s Lay asked for fans not to hate him in light of the recent promotions that he was absent from.
However, Netizens have left mainly unsympathetic words calling Lay a “sly fox” and attempting to manipulate the audience, particularly younger fans.
See what some had to say:
1. [+131, -25] For all of ‘Call Me Baby’ promos, he was in China and the first thing he says when he gets back to Korea is “don’t hate me”? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ f*ck, I don’t think he realizes what he needs to be saying right now. He should be apologizing, not asking people to not hate him. He should be saying sorry for not promoting with the group. How can he be this selfish and greedy. So he wants his own profit but also doesn’t want people hating him for it?
2. [+108, -22] Only now…? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Zhang CEO-nim, wake up… There are a lot of temporary fans in the fandom so maybe if you continue acting all sad and pathetic like this, they’ll start liking you again but the majority of us fans have turned their backs on you ^^ I still can’t forget that you grabbed a meal with Luhan and Wu Yifan, kept in contact with them, and called Luhan your brother and gave him your support when he left ^^ You never once participated in the official album promo schedule other than the first week and you’ve been so busy making your own personal profit with your studio in China… and now you dare come back and ask people not to hate you? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Don’t act selfishly if you don’t want people to hate you!
3. [+85, -9] This is exactly what Lay intended… to get you to sympathize with him. Stop being so naive.
4. [+33, -3] Do you not feel bad for the Korean members then? ㅋㅋ I tear up at the thought of how regretful they must feel. Lay gets to act up against SM and get his own individual schedules and choose when he wants to promote in Korea or not. Rumors have already spread that he changed his contract terms. There’s no way we can trust him now. I’m sure you know that the majority of the fandom outside of the internet only support the core 8 members.
5. [+28, -3] I’m surprised the members are even smiling at Zhang Yixing ㅋㅋㅋ The Korean members are suffering
6. [+25, -3] Crazy bastard acting like he’s the victim
7. [+24, -2] He’s really quite a sly fox ㅋㅋ He knows that there are a lot of young fans in Korea so if he acts sad and tries to gain their sympathy, they’ll start supporting him again. Meanwhile in China he goes out to eat with the two traitors and gets his own image going ㅋㅋ and he manipulates SM into getting his own studio while still getting a cut of EXO’s profits ㅋㅋㅋ What a comfortable life for him
8. [+23, -1] Ehh??? What do you mean “sea of tears”??? It was a sea of hate in the M!Countdown audience. The teens in the fandom don’t know anything so of course they gave him their sympathy but anyone in their twenties and thirties were swearing at him the entire time. Everyone was smirking and laughing at him. As if the place was a sea of tears ㅋㅋㅋ Lay fans are trying so hard, aren’t they.
9. [+22, -2] You guys got betrayed three times and you still haven’t woken up, have you? He’s already trying to set up a foundation for his leave ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ EXO is only 8, Lay needs to leave the group on his own if he realizes how much we hate him. I feel bad for the Korean members to have to sit there and smile at his face.
10. [+17, -1] What a f*cking joke. I was there at M! Countdown and I was so pissed off… he grabbed the mic and started acting all depressed and sad and slurring his pronunciation. What a joke. My blood already runs cold hearing the members call him Lay hyung. It’s obvious that Lay’s trying to survive through these promos to milk as much cash as he can ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ sly little fox, you think we’d fall to your ploy? F*ck off