All idol groups receive a lot of criticisms from netizens, but a recent post on Pann has gained a lot of attention on the topic of double standards between male and female groups.
Titled The Pains of Being a Girl Group Fan, the post brought up ten examples of scenarios where female idol groups are treated unfairly compared to male idol groups. A translation of the post can be found below.
1. Female idol group members who can perform parts just fine get criticized for for their singing ability, but when a male idol is actually bad at rapping or singing, their fans always argue, “Do you think he would’ve debuted if he wasn’t talented~? He has good vocal color ㅋㅋ and even if he’s bad, he’s still cute ㅎㅎ”
2. People go crazy when a female idol says something dumb or without thinking on a broadcast… but if a male idol does something wrong, fans brush it off.. “cute ㅋㅋ!”
3. When a female idol is caught swearing, people criticize her and judge her entire character, but if a male idol does the same, fans say, “So, none of you swear? A public figure isn’t allowed to swear? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ”
4. Members who aren’t that pretty or have gained a little weight get criticized intensely and questioned “how was she able to debut?” but if a male idol is ugly… “he’s adorable”
5. If a female idol smiles at or talks to a male idol, she gets called a “fox”!
6. If a pair of idols is caught in a dating scandal, it’s 90% the female idol’s fault because she must have been hitting on him.
7. If female idols are caught wearing plagiarized outfits, they get called “plagiarism-dols” and all of their accomplishments get accused of plagiarism, but if a male idol group gets into the same situation, it’s “their coordinator’s the anti-fan, what’s wrong with their coordinator?”
8. If a picture of a female idol in a club or bar in the past is discovered, she gets blacklisted from the industry… but if it’s a male idol, fans give him the benefit of the doubt and say, “I’m sure he’s matured now, I still believe in you!”
9. If a female idol appears lazy or tired on a broadcast, people will say that she’s always like that, but if a male idol does, it’s just because his condition “isn’t that good today ㅎ”
10. If a female idol makes a mistake, she has to make several public and personal apologies and still receives backlash even after the victim accepts the apology, but if a male idol does the same, fans write it off saying “he already apologized ㅋㅋ”
[+ 361, – 64] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ for example Big Bang and TARA. Big Bang committed actual crimes and they don’t get any hate. T-ARA had a controversy that was proven false and they’re still criticized ㅋㅋㅋ
[+ 149, – 5] I like both boy and girl groups and I was surprised at the double standards. When boys do something bad they’re just be careful next time..and when girls do they’re like I knew you would just leave the industry…
[+ 116, – 6] When people criticize girl groups everyone jumps on when they diss boy groups everyone defends them